Kids' Health
Visit website  
Home › What's New

What's New

We can't answer your personal questions
04 Aug 2008

We don't have a chat room on this site, and we cannot answer personal questions. However, we sometimes get questions that need an answer, so here goes.

Q. I feel sexy when I talk to this boy. Is that normal? I am 12.

A. It is quite normal for girls and boys to have sexy feelings when they are starting to go through puberty. It is quite normal to be interested in the 'private' parts of the body.

You may start to feel differently about the people in your life. eg. you may start to get interested in a boy or girl even if you have known that person for a long time.

Our topic on Sexual feelings may be helpful.

Q. My brother sometimes tries to touch my 'private' parts. Is this OK?

A. Sometimes someone in your family may start showing an interest in you that is a bit scary. If that is happening then it is not OK, even if it is someone in your close family.

You need to tell a trusted adult if someone is saying things that make you feel uncomfortable or touching you or asking to be touched in ways that make you feel unsafe.

Q. How soon can girls get pregnant?

A. Girls can get pregnant from the time they start menstruating if they have sex with any male.

It is against the law in Australia for anyone under 17 years of age to have sexual relations with someone.

This Law is to protect children and young people.

If someone is making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe then it is not your fault. You are not to blame even if that person says that you are 'making' him or her feel sexy about you. No one can make someone have feelings.

If you tell an adult and nothing is done about it, then tell another trusted adult until something is done to make you feel safe again.

Q. I feel scared when my mum and dad fight. Sometimes my brother tries to stop the fighting and he gets hurt too.

A. Everyone has the right to feel safe in their own home. If you don't feel safe then you need to talk about it. Talk with parents, grandparents or other trusted adults. If you feel unsafe then get away from the fighting.

Go to your room, go to a neighbour or friend’s house, or call for help on the phone.

If things are really bad then call the police emergency number: 000  (Australia)

Our topics on Keeping yourself safe and Family conflict may give you some tips on who to talk to when you feel unsafe.

If you cannot get the help that you need, you could call the Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 (free call). This is available for all Australian kids.

If you are 12 or over and live in South Australia then you can call the Youth Healthline 1300 13 17 19 (cost of a local call).