Head lice again!
13 Jun 2011
Head lice are on the move again! Have you seen any? How can you avoid them?
- Keep your hair short or pulled back in a pony tail.
- Don't use anyone else's comb or brush.
- Don't use anyone else's hat or lend yours.
- Watch out for them and take action straight away if you find any.
Isn't it funny how you start to feel itchy when you think about head lice? However you may not feel itchy if you have actually got them!
Check your hair:
- Ask mum or dad to look in your hair at the back of your neck and behind your ears to see if there are lice or eggs (nits).
- Put hair conditioner on your dry hair and comb through with a special ‘head lice’ comb you can get from the chemist or supermarket. Wipe the comb onto a tissue or paper towel. If you have head lice you will see them on the comb, paper towel or tissue, as the conditioner stuns the lice so they can't run away.
- As soon as you find any, get special shampoo or lotion from the chemist (pharmacy) and use it exactly as the directions tell you.
- Or use the conditioner again combing through each part of your hair five times. Keep doing it every 2 days to make sure the lice are all gone.
- Every one else in the family needs to do the same if they have head lice or you can reinfect each other.
Don't stress about head lice – anyone can get them.
If you want more information on these little critters, look at our topic on Head lice.