Sneezes and wheezes
07 Nov 2011
Now that it's spring and the weather is getting warmer, some people are having problems.
We had a lot of rain in winter so plants and flowers grew tall and then warm sunny weather arrived and buds opened, flowers bloomed and pollen flew into the air. We have already had some high pollen count days.
- For some people this brings on hay fever.
- For some people pollen is a trigger for asthma.
If your eyes feel dry and itchy and your nose is running, you may be suffering from hay fever. Our topics on Hay fever and Asthma will tell you more.
- If your eyes feel very sore, you can try washing them with cool water.
- If you know you have asthma, then check that your medications are up to date and start using them.
- If you don't usually have problems with hay fever or asthma, then it may be a good idea to go and see your doctor. There are lots of medications you can buy from the chemist or pharmacy, but check with your doctor first.
- If you are really suffering, it may be an idea for someone to check around the garden for strong smelling flowers and plants. They may be making you sick.