South Australian Child Health and Development Record
(known as the 'Blue Book')
The Blue Book is a parent-held record for families to:
- record your child's growth
- check your child's development
- record children's vaccinations
- take to health and immunisation appointments
- use to help discuss your child’s development with a health professional or early childhood educator.
- trusted guidance on sleep, feeding and child safety
- developmental milestones, growth charts, immunisation record and health checks
- a list of additional resources and service contacts.
The first five years, and especially the first 1000 days, are important to your child’s life-long health, wellbeing and opportunity.
If you have any questions about your child’s development, talk with a Child and Family Health Service nurse, your doctor, or other health care or early education provider.
If you are worried about your child’s health and development, seek help early.
- The Blue Book is given to all parents of newborns in South Australia.
Click here for a quick look at the features in the 2018 edition.
Click here for our Blue Book posters series.
Download the Child Health and Development Record
Extra pages can be printed from the PDF links below. Simply click on the file and print the page/s you need.
If you would like A4-sized pages:
- open the PDF file in Adobe Reader (see links below)
- in Adobe Reader, choose 'Print…” from the 'File' menu
- under the 'Page Scaling' option choose 'Fit to Printable Area'.
Document sections - 2018 Edition
If you are using earlier editions of the Blue Book, please download pages you are interested in from the 2018 edition to insert into your child's health record.
My baby’s first weeks
- What does a healthy baby do?
- When should I ask for advice?
Dear parent / caregiver
- About me / my family
- Child’s birth details
- Newborn examination
Hearing and Vision
- Baby’s hearing and eyesight
- Newborn hearing screening
- Follow- hearing screening (if required)
Development and growth
- Your child’s development
- Developmental milestones
- Learning to talk and connect
- Learning to move and be active
- Learning to use my hands
- Learning to work things out
- Learning to be sociable
- Family health
Growth and weight record
- Using growth charts
- Girls weight for age percentile chart (Birth to 24 months)
- Girls length for age percentile chart (Birth to 24 months)
- Girls head circumference for age percentile chart ( Birth to 24 months)
- Girls weight for age percentile chart (2-18 years)
- Girls height for age percentile chart (2-18 years)
- Boys weight for age percentile chart (Birth to 24 months)
- Boys length for age percentile chart (Birth to 24 months)
- Boys head circumference for age percentile chart ( Birth to 24 months)
- Boys weight for age percentile chart (2-18 years)
- Boys height for age percentile chart (2-18 years)
Teeth and dental health
My health checks
- Health checks
- Healthy Hips (click to download)
- 1-4 week health check
- 2 week health check
- 6 week health check
- 6-9 month health check
- 18-24 month health check
- 3 years and preschool health checks
Caring for baby
- Information for parents
- Sleeping baby safely
- Child safety
- Sleep and settling
Where to go for help
- Where to go for help
- Child health and development
- Child safety
- Domestic Violence
- Health and wellbeing
- Hearing and vision
- Your local council
Notes and appointments
The complete 'Blue Book'
Child Health and Development Record (2.5mb)
How to give feedback
Your feedback is important to us. Please click here to provide feedback: